Community Invited to Bring Unwanted Electronics to SIC Feb. 13
January 30, 2013
Recycling Event Will Help Clean the Environment
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Southeastern Illinois College will host a campus and community-wide electronics recycling event.
Illinois Public Act 97-0287, effective January 2012, banned 17 electronics from landfills, including TVs, computers, monitors, printers, computer peripherals, VCRs/DVD players, gaming systems, MP3 players, scanners, and fax machines.
Sponsored by the college’s Environmental Services and Information Technology offices, the Feb. 13 event is designed to provide a centralized and convenient depository for these banned and unwanted electronics devices and to help promote environmental stewardship.
To date, the college has collected nearly 5,000 lbs. in campus recyclable electronics items.
The following list of materials will be accepted:
- CRT monitors, LCD displays, computers, printers, fax machines
- Laptops, Cell Phones, PDAs
- Cables, printed circuit boards, connectors, electrical equipment
- IT equipment including hubs, switches, servers, routers, racks etc….
- Telecommunication Equipment
- Laboratory test equipment
- Television Production Equipment
- Medical Electronics
- Industrial Electronics
- Audio Video Equipment
- Consumer Electronics including DVD Players, Stereos, Radios, Calculators, Turntables,
- Satellite TV Equipment, Speakers, VCRs
- UPS (uninterruptible power supplies) equipment
- Most everything with a cord – except unacceptable items mentioned below
A list of what can be accepted also is available by going to the following website: http://www.candielectronics.com/accepted_materials.html
Items that will not be accepted include the following:
- Office Copiers
- Microwave Ovens
- Florescent Light Bulbs
- Lead acid Batteries with the exception of UPS Batteries
- Other loose batteries (we do take the batteries within the electronics)
- White goods including refrigerators, stoves, vacuum cleaners, dehumidifiers etc..
- Loose plastic
- Aluminum cans
- Scrap Steel
“Given that the closest electronics recycling facility is about an hour’s drive, we are pleased to provide a more convenient alternative for area residents and hope to make this an annual event,” said event coordinator Greg McCulloch.
To alleviate traffic congestion, McCulloch asks that those planning on bringing items to the event to please enter the campus from the north off Muddy Road. Unloading will take place on the lower level of the North C Parking Lot. SIC is located at 3575 College Road, five miles east of Harrisburg and four miles south of Eldorado.
The community is encouraged to participate, and there is no charge.
For additional information, please contact Greg McCulloch firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-252-5400, ext. 2520.