Rental Service Tech
Position duties include but are not limited to: perform mechanical services on equipment both new and rentals for the Service Department at job sites or in the shop.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnoses and repairs equipment in the shop or customer sites including rebuilding of components, a complete rebuild or any part thereof.
- Mentors less experienced technicians in troubleshooting and completing repairs
- Is capable of operating with little or no supervision both in the shop and in the field
- Initiates and/or completes all associated paper work for the service and/or repair, including writing the service report and recording time technician(s) spent repairing and/or servicing equipment, parts charged and returned, serial number, type of equipment, etc.
- Maintains customer satisfaction by understanding the customers’ needs and time constraints and attempting to complete scheduled repairs and service safely and within those constraints while providing superior quality to meet and/or exceed the customer’s needs.
- Maintains company issued vehicles, equipment, tools, work areas, etc. by keeping them in good working order, clean, professional in appearance, and up to date with suggested maintenance.
- Performs related duties as required such as maintaining the safety and housekeeping associated with the particular work site.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through a high school education or the equivalent with a technical background or additional training preferred, as provided through a vocational school with studies in diesel equipment repair.
- 3-5 years of mechanical experience with heavy equipment preferably with a rental company or Caterpillar and/or in a position with a working knowledge of hydraulics, powertrain, electronic/electrical systems etc.
- Excellent decision-making skills and good creative thinking and goal setting skills.
- Excellent problem solving, diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with the ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures and guidelines and basic understanding of warranty administration.
- Moderate computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office. Moderate experience using data base systems.
- A working knowledge of safety rules, laws and regulations concerning engine service, hydraulics, electrical, technical functions of various components and tooling procedures and capabilities.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with little or no supervision and achieve required goals and objectives.
- The ability to work overtime and weekends.
- May be required to obtain a CDL.