Board of Trustees
Facts & History
MAPS & DIRECTIONS
Southeastern Fast Facts
- Southeastern was founded in 1960 and held its first classes in the basement of Harrisburg High School.
- SIC has been ranked among the top 150 US colleges by the Aspen Institute for a number of years.
- SIC’s Nursing programs boast 100% (or very close to that) pass rates on the state exams for nearly nearly 10 years.
- Tuition at SIC remains one of the lowest in the Midwest at $106 per credit hour.
- Southeastern provides dual credit to high school students saving them roughly $400,000 a year collectively in tuition.
- SIC awards approximately $3.7 million per year in financial aid. (2019-20)
- Southeastern offers more than 60 transfer programs and approximately 50 career and technical degrees and certificates.
- SIC was named the #1 online community college in Illinois and #19 in the country in 2018 by the Center for Online Education. A regional leader in online classes since 1998, SIC offers two degrees completely online: Associate in Arts and Associate in Applied Science - Criminal Justice, and more than 100 online courses each semester.
- Student to instructor ratio at SIC is 17:1.
- More than 70 percent of SIC students receive some form of financial aid or scholarships.
- Attending SIC first, and then transferring to a four year school can save you tens of thousands of dollars in college costs during the first two years.
- SIC partners with a number of universities, allowing for maximum transfer of credit and seamless transition for students moving on to earn bachelor’s degrees.
- Southeastern’s diesel technology program is the only community college program certified by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation for medium heavy duty trucks in the state of Illinois.
- The speech team, the SIC Forensic Falcons, and has earned a top five spot in the nation among community colleges for more than 30 years, taking first place in the nation three times. In 2021, they won a virtual international competition for the first time again such top-tier schools as Yale and Vanderbilt.
- SIC’s Archery Team has defeated Division I universities like Oklahoma State, Michigan State, MIZZOU and Purdue in national competition, since it began in 2011.
- Southeastern’s Model Illinois Government team earns one of the top delegation spots in Springfield each year during state competition.