Faculty Toolbox for Online Learning
Ideas for remote teaching
Microsoft Office 365 (O365)
Microsoft Office 365 is free for enrolled SIC students and also SIC employees. Through O365 an entire suite of Office software can be downloaded for free. This includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and 1TB of OneDrive online storage.
Lesson Building Tools
- ScreenCast-O-Matic: Easy to use screencasting and video editing software tools widely used in education. This software can be used to narrate slideshows, create your own videos, etc. ScreenCast offers a free version, but OLET also has a limited number of permanent licenses available as well. Find out more here: https://screencast-o-matic.com/
- Additional Technology Tools
- Wacom Intous Creative Pen Tablet: Annotation and writing tool for the creation of online lessons. It can be used in combination with ScreenCast-O-Matic screen capturing software. OLET has a few of these available for loan.
- Smarter Proctoring - Available in Canvas, but only for Classic Quizzes (This service may change, as well as instructions for use. For more detail and information contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Canvas: Please contact email@example.com for Canvas training
Video chat and screen sharing software for real-time interaction with students. Available on almost all platforms, operating systems, browsers, and phones. You can use this app to hold live sessions with your students.
OLET purchased additional licenses to help during this unexpected transition to alternative course delivery modes. If you do not have a webcam, OLET has some available for loan. If you would like a Zoom room, contact your division chair in inquiring.
*The virtual background feature allows you to display an image or video as your background during a Zoom Meeting. No need for a green screen, Zoom will prompt you to download a tool in lieu of using one.
We recommend these initial favorites and you will be up and running in no time.
- Join a test meeting to test your speakers, microphone, and/or webcam.
- Scheduling Meetings for Gmail
- Scheduling Meetings for Outlook
- In Meeting Basic Controls
- Screen Sharing Basics
- Implementing Breakout Rooms for Group Work
- Using Whiteboards in Zoom
- Using Zoom on your Phone
- How to Record your Session
- Make your Powerpoint Slides a Zoom Background
Online / Remote Tutoring
SIC offers FREE 24/7 online tutoring services through Tutor.com. There is a link to the service inside each class in eLearning.
In addition, our professional tutors, JoAnna Lane & Jarrod Appel, are providing tutoring remotely via email and phone. To contact JoAnna and Jarrod, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please refer to any students who might need tutoring help to either service.
Need additional help? Contact us at email@example.com