TOP HIGH SCHOOL BOWLER COMMITS TO SIC
High school senior Elizabeth Davis from Norris City is currently ranked by the Illinois High School Athletic Association (IHSA) as number 16 in girls bowling. During her first three years in high school, she was ranked number 13.
Davis now brings her top 20 IHSA rankings to Southeastern Illinois College, where she will compete on the school’s very first US Bowling Congress Collegiate team during the 2018-19 academic year.
Davis bowled for the Harrisburg High School Bulldogs during her four years in high school.
Archie Blair, head bowling coach at SIC, feels very lucky to have Davis, who was courted by Lewis University in Romeoville and Martin Methodist College in Pulaski, Tennessee before deciding on SIC, where she plans to pursue a degree in nursing.
“A top tier high school athlete like Elizabeth offers the competitive experience, consistency, and success that will go a long way in establishing her reputation as a collegiate bowler and helping SIC launch its inaugural season,” said Blair.
Davis’ high school coach, Doug Cottom, has similar feelings about her prospects as a college bowler.
“Without question, she is the most accomplished bowler, male or female, I have had in my program at HHS since its inception. There is no doubt she will continue on the same path in the collegiate ranks,” said Cottom.
The Bulldog coach went on to say that he and the college are “thrilled Elizabeth has decided to stay close to home for the next level, especially since several colleges were knocking on her door and for a very good reason.”
Davis’ bowling credentials are impressive, to say the least.
- Twelfth place at Junior High State tournament 2013
- Sixth place at Junior high State tournament 2014
- Second highest series at Alton Holiday Tournament 2016
- Second Place Gold division at Bellville Invitational 2016
- Second highest game at Bellville Invitational 2016
- Highest series at Bellville Invitational 2016
- Second highest game at Carterville Invitational 2017
- Tri-State Tour Champion at Ross Cottom Lanes 2017
- Second high game at Triad Invitational 2017
- Second high Series at Triad Invitational 2017
- Fourth high game at Bellville Invitational 2017
- Seventh high series Bellville Invitational 2017
- Second high series at Herrin Invitational 2017
- Highest series at Alton Invitational 2017
- Third high game at Alton Invitational 2017
- Second place as a team at Alton Invitational 2017
- Second place boys and girls combined as a team at Alton Invitational 2017
- High series at Carterville Invitational 2018
- Second high game at Carterville Invitational 2018
- Regional Champs 2018
- Third high series at Regionals
- Advanced to the State tournament individually 2015-2018
- Placed 13th 2015-2017 and Placed 16th 2018
- First place in Owensboro Eliminator 2018
In August, Southeastern will become a member of US Bowling Congress Collegiate, which serves alongside NCAA and NJCAA as governing bodies of collegiate varsity bowling.
Those interested in joining the team are encouraged to attend a series of open tryouts scheduled for June 5, 6, and 7 from 4-5:30 p.m. each day at Ross Cottom Lanes 2080 US-45, Harrisburg, IL 62946. For more information, please call Doug Cottom at 618-253-8417.